nickjones

Progress: 244/331 pages
House of Leaves
Mark Z. Danielewski
Progress: 50/662 pages
The Hound of the Baskervilles (with Illustrations by Sidney Paget)
Sidney Paget, Arthur Conan Doyle
Progress: 69 %
The Hound of the Baskervilles
Arthur Conan Doyle

Wesley's 52 Standard Sermons: Doctrinal Standards, Part I

Wesley's 52 Standard Sermons - John Wesley This book is difficult for me to rate. On the one hand, there are many wonderful and glorious things that uplift the heart(these should get a five star rating). On the other hand, I felt terribly convicted much of the time and wanted to avoid reading further (a two star rating for this). This last one is less about the book and more about the person reading it (thus a four star rating). Wesley wasn't afraid to say what he thought and he thought a lot. I should say much more about this wonderful book, but I'm not entirely sure what to say at the moment. If you are Wesleyan-Arminian, I highly recommend that you read these sermons in order to better grasp Wesley's theology. If you are of the Reformed persuasion, I also highly recommend that you read these sermons to better grasp a Wesleyan understanding of justification and sanctification. Many Calvinists would be shocked to know that Wesley believed in sola fide. Some of Wesley's recent interpreters have tried to construe him in purely co-opperant grace terms (or synergism). Wesley reveals that the people called the Methodist are anything but Pelagians.