nickjones

Progress: 244/331 pages
House of Leaves
Mark Z. Danielewski
Progress: 50/662 pages
The Hound of the Baskervilles (with Illustrations by Sidney Paget)
Sidney Paget, Arthur Conan Doyle
N.T. Wright
Progress: 69 %
The Hound of the Baskervilles
Arthur Conan Doyle, Anne Perry

Praying Effectively for the Lost (Paperback 2003 Printing)

Praying Effectively For the Lost - Lee E. Thomas I find it hard to really rate this book according to stars. For one, it's no literary masterpiece, nor was it intended to be. This is a simple booklet written to help Christians realize the importance and method of praying for non-Christians. If you understand and read the book in this light (a.k.a. cut it some slack), it is pretty good. Thomas's basic premise is that reaching lost people for Christ requires intercessory prayer on their behalf, so that the strong holds in their minds and hearts will be removed. After these are out of the way, they can truly hear and respond to the Gospel.

One problem that I had with the book was that there were several places where Thomas made some strong claims about the way God worked or the way things happened in the spiritual realm without backing up how he got there. I didn't necessarily disagree with him. I just believe it is important to cite from Scripture how you arrive at a particular belief. There were other places where I would have liked for the author to spend more time explaining key ideas, such as strongholds, or at least point to other resources where the reader could learn about them. But in the end, I found that this book did what it was designed to do--inspire me to pray for lost and broken people.