nickjones

Progress: 244/331 pages
House of Leaves
Mark Z. Danielewski
Progress: 50/662 pages
The Hound of the Baskervilles (with Illustrations by Sidney Paget)
Sidney Paget, Arthur Conan Doyle
Progress: 69 %
The Hound of the Baskervilles
Arthur Conan Doyle, Anne Perry

Christmas from the Backside

Christmas from the Back Side - J. Ellsworth Kalas Some books are good because they deliver new information. Some books are good because they are wildly entertaining. For me this book was neither. So why the four star rating? Several reasons come to mind. Firstly, Dr. Kalas was always more than generous with me on my papers, so I'd like to return the favor. Secondly, and I know this may shock some, I think it's important to be taught to think pastorally. Joe and Susy Pewsitter don't want a lecture, they want the Word of God to come alive and capture their hearts and minds (this may or may not be a conscience desire), but many of the theologically sound pastors spend so much time in academic books that they forget how to talk to common folks--I view myself in this camp. However, when I read Dr. Kalas's books I can hear his voice the same as any conversation we've ever had. Thirdly, this slim volume has many great insights but even more great questions to shake up the often stagnant images we have about Christmas. I look forward to reading this with my family in coming years.