nickjones

Progress: 244/331 pages
House of Leaves
Mark Z. Danielewski
Progress: 50/662 pages
The Hound of the Baskervilles (with Illustrations by Sidney Paget)
Sidney Paget, Arthur Conan Doyle
Progress: 69 %
The Hound of the Baskervilles
Arthur Conan Doyle

The Rape Of Lucrece

The Rape Of Lucrece - William Shakespeare Lesson: If you have a great wife and think the world of her, keep your yapper shut unless you want bad things to happen to her.
Well...almost.
Poor Collatine seems to get a little more blame for the events that transpire than he deserves ("The niggar prodigal that prais'd her so"). The fact is that Tarquin is piece of toxic human waste who alone is to blame.
Disturbing topic (yes. It really is about rape), but Shakespeare is at the top of his game in poetics. The psychological insight into sexual perpetrator/victim mentality was the highlight of this poem. Unfortunately, the longer he kept going the more he started losing me.
Plus, the vindictive part of me was really hoping to see Tarquin eat it in the end. After all, one of Collatine's men is named Brutus...so I was looking forward to a mob knife scene ala "Et tu, Brute?"