nickjones

Progress: 244/331 pages
House of Leaves
Mark Z. Danielewski
Progress: 50/662 pages
The Hound of the Baskervilles (with Illustrations by Sidney Paget)
Sidney Paget, Arthur Conan Doyle
N.T. Wright
Progress: 69 %
The Hound of the Baskervilles
Arthur Conan Doyle, Anne Perry

WHO IS JESUS (Crucial Questions (Reformation Trust))

Who Is Jesus? - R.C. Sproul Dear Dr. Sproul,

I just finished your e-book "Who Is Jesus?" Thanks for the free book. I did enjoy it and get some new insights from it, but I must say that I am slightly confused on whom your target audience is. In many places it seemed like you were writing to those outside the faith who were wanting to know Who Jesus Is? You gave long theological explanations for certain aspects of Jesus' life and ministry that would be best suited to outsiders or beginners in the Christian faith. Certainly, it was not in depth enough (or footnoted enough) to be targeting theology students. Nor did it seem totally geared towards helping Christians explain their faith to non-Christians. However, you couldn't have been addressing the average person either. I noticed that you used loads of Latin theological and philosophical terms throughout your book--nearly on every page--but not in a way that always explained what they mean. So you must be assuming that your readers will have some type of higher education like yourself. However, in my opinion, the book is too brief to be for seminary students. My guess is that you just write and talk over people's heads and hope they can catch up. It does come across as insider language and pretty snobby though. Since I knew what you meant by most of those terms, I guess that means I'm in the club. That being said, I wish you had given me more new information. As a theological/philosophical insider I have already read most of these ideas elsewhere where they were treated more thoroughly. I am a sucker for a series, though, and I have down loaded all 14 e-books in the collection. I'll get back with you on those.

All the best,