nickjones

Progress: 244/331 pages
House of Leaves
Mark Z. Danielewski
Progress: 50/662 pages
The Hound of the Baskervilles (with Illustrations by Sidney Paget)
Sidney Paget, Arthur Conan Doyle
N.T. Wright
Progress: 69 %
The Hound of the Baskervilles
Arthur Conan Doyle, Anne Perry
Missional Map-Making: Skills for Leading in Times of Transition - Alan Roxburgh I liked this book for several reasons. First, Roxburgh looks to history in order to understand the present. Secondly, unlike so many books on leading change in the church, he does not try to get leaders to abandon traditional churches in favor of "emergent", "emerging", or whatever the new term is this month church structures. He points out that the old ways of planning and leading aren't working, but his solution is a shift in the way leaders think and lead rather than in the renegotiation of church structure or polity. He states that the CEO model of pastoring is becoming a thing of the past and that the changing world requires leaders who are cultivators of environments. Often this comes across as casual and less linear than strategic planning styles. I am glad to here him say this, since I have never viewed myself as the CEO type but still feel called to the ministry. More than provide new information, Roxburgh validated many thoughts and feelings (even aspirations) I have had for a while. His premise is that we can no longer rely on modern trends of statistical data collecting and strategic (from the top down) planning. Instead we must nuture congregational life with the story of the Scripture, helping them to see themselves in the story, and guide them (leading through example) to understand and engage our world. Though he does not say it in so many words he is talking about accomplishing Ephesians 4:12 by way of Romans 12:2.