nickjones

Progress: 244/331 pages
House of Leaves
Mark Z. Danielewski
Progress: 50/662 pages
The Hound of the Baskervilles (with Illustrations by Sidney Paget)
Sidney Paget, Arthur Conan Doyle
N.T. Wright
Progress: 69 %
The Hound of the Baskervilles
Arthur Conan Doyle
The House on the Borderland - William Hope Hodgson I have to admit that I'm a sucker for weird, creepy fiction. I had high hopes for this book. It started off giving me everything I was looking for: ancient manuscripts, mysterious old ruins, a vast evil old house, a sub-terrain adventure, but then it lost me. About 25% of the book involved the unnamed narrator slowly observing untold aeons speeding forward towards the end of the universe.

The real problem for me was that it left too many loose ends and ultimately I have no idea what Hodgson was trying to say. What in the heck does this story mean? Still...I think this short tale will stick with me, if for no other reason than I will constantly be wondering what it all means. I would love to hear from someone who could shed some light on the subject.