nickjones

Progress: 244/331 pages
House of Leaves
Mark Z. Danielewski
Progress: 50/662 pages
The Hound of the Baskervilles (with Illustrations by Sidney Paget)
Sidney Paget, Arthur Conan Doyle
N.T. Wright
Progress: 69 %
The Hound of the Baskervilles
Arthur Conan Doyle, Anne Perry
The Weight of Glory - C.S. Lewis A great collection of essays and papers delivered to students during the 1940's. Lewis never ceases to inspire me with his prose. He's simply a great writer. But that's not all he is. He is a great thinker and teacher too. For instance, in the beginning of his piece called "Why I'm not a pacifist" he takes the time to educate his readers/listeners on the art of logical thinking. This is one example of how he teaches beyond the bounds of his topic. This book was a joy to read. That being said, I realized while reading the chapter "Is Theology Poetry?" that he holds some beliefs with which I strongly disagree--namely that much of the OT is mythical and becomes more historical as it approaches the NT. I do wonder if he would hold this opinion today if he were still alive. Still, these minor discrepancies are not so unforgivable (or so prolonged) as to decrease my enjoyment of this book. And, heck, you shouldn't swallow everything you read whole anyway.
I really do get the impression that we could have enjoyed some wonderful discussions, if I could have had the opportunity. That's the way his writing makes me feel. Conversational, learned, and thought provoking.