nickjones

Progress: 244/331 pages
House of Leaves
Mark Z. Danielewski
Progress: 50/662 pages
The Hound of the Baskervilles (with Illustrations by Sidney Paget)
Sidney Paget, Arthur Conan Doyle
N.T. Wright
Progress: 69 %
The Hound of the Baskervilles
Arthur Conan Doyle, Anne Perry
Communicating for a Change: Seven Keys to Irresistible Communication - Andy Stanley, Lane Jones Some of my friends will really bristle at Stanley's concept of a one point sermon. I probably would have too if it were not for two factors. The first is that my preaching professor, Dr. J. Ellsworth Kalas, encouraged his students to lean in this direction. The man is in his late eighties and has been preaching and studying the art of preaching since he was a teenager, so I trust him. The second reason is that I have sat through all kinds of multi-point sermons since infancy and the ones that I still remember where the simple ones.
Recently, I preached a sermon that I was hoping to motivate life change. What I got afterwards were comments on how interesting it was. Grrrr.
Don't get me wrong. I love deep, scholarly, verse by verse expository preaching --heck I love reading commentaries for crying out loud --but the majority of people sitting in the pew aren't that type of learner. We shouldn't punish them because they are not. That's what a Pharisee would do. Jesus taught mostly in parables-- simple, one point sermons.

Ok. So enough of my defense for the gist of the book. There is a lot of helpful material in his book that can help Christian teachers and preachers connect with their audience in order to present the gospel clearly. There is some occasional mega church, business model, marketing drivel, but over all I found it to be good, easy to read, and easy to remember.