nickjones

Progress: 244/331 pages
House of Leaves
Mark Z. Danielewski
Progress: 50/662 pages
The Hound of the Baskervilles (with Illustrations by Sidney Paget)
Sidney Paget, Arthur Conan Doyle
Progress: 69 %
The Hound of the Baskervilles
Arthur Conan Doyle

The Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes

The Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes -  Arthur Conan Doyle,  Sidney Paget As many people have already pointed out, The Memoirs offer a more human portrait of Holmes: he makes mistakes, shows fear, has a family, and, yes, he bleeds. Watson seems at some pains to explain this shift by having Holmes chide him for embellishing the previous adventures. Some readers may find this more human Holmes to be a bit of a turn off. I, on the other hand, do not. I find myself more intrigued.

Like [b:The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes|3590|The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes (Sherlock Holmes, #3)|Arthur Conan Doyle|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1164045516s/3590.jpg|1222101], we have twelve cases...Well, the last one's not really a case, but I won't spoil that one for you. It is in this collection that we are first introduced to Sherlock's older, fat, lazy but more intelligent brother, Mycroft. Here, we also meet the "Napoleon of crime", Professor Moriarty--Holmes's arch-nemesis. It is also in the Memoirs that we get a better glimpse of the rooms at 221B Baker St. There is a great deal of iconic Holmesian (is that a word?) material that finds its source in this collection.

I thoroughly enjoyed each story.

I'll be back, Mr. Holmes. I'll be back.